Lady Eagle volleyballer announces early commitment
August 30, 2010 • Angel Garcia
Filed under Sports
Senior Lauren Hawkins announced early commitment to the University of Memphis volleyball program. Hawkins received a full athletic scholarship.
“It was a very easy decision,” Hawkins said.
However, the process involved in reaching the actual commitment statement wasn’t simple.
“The experience was very stressful and tedious,” she said. “I didn’t like it at all to be honest.”
Despite having the skills to receive a full ride to Memphis, Hawkins thinks there are still aspects of the game that intimidate her.
“I still have things to learn every day about my technique,” she said.
Ultimately, Hawkins said she is beyond ecstatic about attending the University of Memphis. Eager to be on her own, she’s looking forward to all the perks of being a college athlete.
“We live in houses and our classes are picked for us,” she said. “We don’t have to really worry about anything. We get help with everything.”
Hawkins visited several colleges, but insisted Memphis was the one that she enjoyed the most.
“Memphis was different though,” Hawkins said. “I got to meet the players and actually talk with them about how they liked Memphis. It really helped me make the right decision.”
Last 5 posts in Sports
- Freshman brings experience to infield for Lady Eagles softball - April 25th, 2013
- Athletic Director retires after 12 years at RHS - December 11th, 2012
- Lady Eagles beat Nation's best, extend win streak. - March 6th, 2012
- Eagles beat Lakeview, earn 6th straight win - January 24th, 2012
- Volleyball Playoff Interview with Ms. Haggan - December 6th, 2011