Profile: Coach Ricky Roland
December 14, 2009 • Traisha Martin
Filed under Sports
So far, Coach Rick Roland has under his belt 14 years of coaching. According to Roland, he is not ready to give it up. From the basketball court, to the football field, and even the track, Roland has given the performance to justify why for 2004 and 2007, he was awarded the Physical Education Teacher of the Year.
Coach Roland considers him self a pretty easygoing person who hasn’t had many setbacks in life.
“Well, I have actually had a pretty good life,” he said.
Before every game Rick Roland has a ritual that benefits him.
“I like to talk to my wife so I’m not in such a bad mood,” Roland said.
Basketball requires late practices, which would usually mean not much family time, but he isn’t the typical coach. Harper, Coach Roland’s nine year old son, is quite the commodity with the Lady Eagle Basketball team. Little Roland is often seen running around, if not running their practices.
The first Coyle vs. Schrade game was his most memorable moment as a coach.
“Those were always really fun,” Roland said.
His first five years of his coaching experience were at Coyle Middle School. It took those five years for it to be clarified where Roland’s heart truly is. Not on the football field, or track, but the basketball court.
Last 5 posts in Sports
- Freshman brings experience to infield for Lady Eagles softball - April 25th, 2013
- Athletic Director retires after 12 years at RHS - December 11th, 2012
- Lady Eagles beat Nation's best, extend win streak. - March 6th, 2012
- Eagles beat Lakeview, earn 6th straight win - January 24th, 2012
- Volleyball Playoff Interview with Ms. Haggan - December 6th, 2011